Are you wondering where to stay in Mauritius during your trip? Look no further!
With a myriad of enchanting regions and a plethora of luxury accommodations to choose from, selecting the perfect base for your Mauritian adventure can be both exciting and challenging. In this comprehensive Mauritius hotel guide, we’ll unveil where to stay in Mauritius per area and per activity, and we’ll recommend the finest hotels in these sought-after locales.
Discover the ultimate places to stay in Mauritius, ensuring your stay on the island is nothing short of extraordinary. Oh, and if you’re wondering if Mauritius is worth visiting, make sure you read Is Mauritius Worth Visiting In 2024? Best Places & Things To Do
Where to stay in Mauritius? Start with the Area
When selecting a hotel in Mauritius, consider your travel preferences among the six main areas to choose from. Whether it’s the vibrant atmosphere of Grand Bay, the family-friendly amenities in Flic en Flac, or the romantic seclusion of Trou aux Biches, aligning your choice with your interests ensures an unforgettable stay.
For the grand chic, make sure you read 15 Best Mauritius 5 Star Hotels & Luxury Resorts in 2024.
Grand Bay / Grand Baie – Ideal for First-time Mauritius Explorers
Grand Bay, also known as Grand Baie, is an ideal choice for first-time visitors to Mauritius. This bustling coastal town on the island’s northern shores offers a vibrant atmosphere with a wide array of shops, restaurants, and water-based activities. With its beautiful beaches and convenient location, Grand Bay sets the stage for an unforgettable introduction to the tropical paradise of Mauritius.
What to do in Grand Bay / Grand Baie
- Grand Bay Beach: Relax and soak up the sun at the beautiful Grand Bay Beach. This popular stretch of coastline features golden sands and crystal-clear waters, making it an ideal spot for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports such as snorkeling and paddleboarding.
- Shopping and Dining: Explore the vibrant streets of Grand Bay, where you’ll find a plethora of shops, boutiques, and markets. This is an excellent place for shopping for souvenirs, clothing, and local handicrafts. After a day of shopping, indulge in delicious Mauritian cuisine at one of the town’s many restaurants, serving fresh seafood and other culinary delights.
- Catamaran Cruises: Discover the stunning offshore islands and the beautiful lagoons surrounding Grand Bay by taking a catamaran cruise. These excursions often include snorkeling opportunities, visits to nearby islands like Île aux Cerfs, and the chance to enjoy a barbecue lunch on board.
Where to stay in Grand Bay / Grand Baie
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury: This prestigious 5-star hotel is renowned for its elegance and luxury. It offers exclusive suites and villas, gourmet dining, a spa, and direct access to the beach. The Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury is known for its exceptional service and stunning ocean views.
The Four Seasons in Anahita offers a more secluded and serene experience on the East Coast, with its own unique charm and attractions. It’s technically an hour’s drive from Grand Bay (Beau Champ), but the luxury resort is well-connected to the island’s attractions and activities. You can easily explore different parts of the island during your stay.
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa: Situated right in Grand Bay, this 3-star hotel offers a more affordable option without compromising on comfort and style. The hotel boasts a spa, two restaurants, a bar, and easy access to the town’s shops, restaurants, and attractions. It’s a great choice for travelers seeking a convenient stay in the heart of Grand Bay.
Flic en Flac – Best place to stay in Mauritius for Families
Flic en Flac, located on the west coast of Mauritius, is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches, water sports, and natural attractions.
What to do in Flic en Flac
- Underwater Waterfall: Not far from Flic en Flac, you can witness the stunning “underwater waterfall” illusion from an elevated viewpoint at Le Morne. This optical illusion is created by the sand and underwater currents.
- Chamarel 7 Colored Earth Geopark: A bit farther south, you’ll find the Chamarel Colored Earths, a unique geological formation of different-colored sand dunes. Nearby, you can visit the Chamarel Waterfall.
- Black River Gorges National Park: While not in Flic en Flac itself, this national park is located nearby and offers excellent hiking opportunities. You can explore lush forests, waterfalls, and a diverse range of flora and fauna.
Where to stay in Flic en Flac
Sugar Beach, A Sun Resort: Sugar Beach is a luxurious 5-star resort located on the west coast of Mauritius. It has a beautiful beachfront setting. The resort features elegantly designed rooms, a range of restaurants and bars, water sports, and a spa. There are activities for both families and couples.
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa: This upscale Hilton property is situated on the west coast. It offers stunning ocean views and access to a pristine beach. The resort boasts well-appointed rooms, multiple dining options, a spa, and water sports.
Anelia Resort & Spa: Anelia Resort & Spa is a charming 4-star beachfront property in Flic en Flac. It’s known for its warm and welcoming atmosphere, comfortable rooms, water sports, and a variety of dining options. It’s a great choice for travelers seeking a balance of comfort and affordability.
Trou aux Biches – Your Romantic Haven for a Mauritius Honeymoon
Trou aux Biches, with its powder-white sands and tranquil turquoise waters, beckons newlyweds to an idyllic paradise. It sets the stage for an unforgettable Mauritius honeymoon, where love blossoms amid the beauty of this coastal gem.
What to do in Trou aux Biche
- Beach Bliss: Spend your days lounging on the stunning Trou aux Biches Beach. This idyllic stretch of coastline boasts soft white sands and clear, warm waters. It’s perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and romantic walks along the shore.
- Snorkeling and Water Sports: The crystal-clear waters of Trou aux Biches are ideal for snorkeling and exploring the colorful marine life. You can rent snorkeling gear or join a guided snorkeling tour to discover the vibrant coral reefs and tropical fish.
- Catamaran Cruise: Embark on a romantic catamaran cruise along the coast of Trou aux Biches. These excursions often include snorkeling opportunities, a sumptuous barbecue lunch, and the chance to spot dolphins and enjoy breathtaking sunset views over the ocean.
Where to stay in Trou aux Biche
Sakoa Boutik Hotel: This charming boutique hotel offers an intimate and tranquil atmosphere for a romantic escape. With its beachfront location, comfortable rooms, and personalized service, Sakoa Boutik Hotel is perfect for couples seeking a romantic getaway.
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa: This upscale resort offers luxurious accommodations. It includes suites and private villas, as well as its stunning beachfront setting. There are diverse dining options, water sports, and a spa. The dedicated kids’ club, makes it suitable for both couples and families.
Le Cardinal Exclusive Resort: A boutique resort that caters to adults only. Le Cardinal Exclusive Resort is designed for couples seeking privacy and relaxation. With its intimate ambiance, beachfront location, and well-appointed rooms, it’s an excellent choice for a romantic escape.
Belle Mare – Where to Find Mauritius’ Finest Beaches
Belle Mare, located on the eastern coast of Mauritius, is a tropical haven celebrated for its pristine white-sand beaches and crystal-clear waters.
What to do in Belle Mare
- Belle Mare Beach: Spend your days basking in the natural beauty of Belle Mare Beach. With its soft, powdery sands and calm, crystal-clear waters, it’s an ideal spot for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports. You can rent water sports equipment or embark on a catamaran cruise for a unique perspective of the coastline.
- Water Sports and Diving: Belle Mare is known for its excellent water sports opportunities, including snorkeling and scuba diving. Explore the vibrant coral reefs and marine life beneath the waves or try thrilling activities like parasailing or jet skiing.
- Ile aux Cerfs: Take a short boat trip from Belle Mare to Ile aux Cerfs, a picturesque island known for its pristine beaches and water sports. You can enjoy snorkeling, golfing at the Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club, or simply relax in the serene surroundings.
Where to stay in Belle Mare
Constance Belle Mare Plage: This luxurious 5-star resort is a haven for golf and beach enthusiasts. Set on the pristine Belle Mare Beach, it offers elegant rooms and suites, a championship golf course, multiple restaurants and bars, a spa, and a range of water sports and recreational activities.
LUX Belle Mare:* LUX* Belle Mare is a highly rated 5-star resort offering a blend of elegance and tropical charm. It features spacious rooms and suites, exquisite dining options, a spa, water sports, and entertainment activities. The resort is known for its vibrant ambiance and attentive service.
The Residence Mauritius: This upscale 5-star resort offers colonial-style architecture and an intimate atmosphere. Set on a stunning beachfront, it provides elegantly furnished rooms and suites, dining options with ocean views, a spa, and activities such as water skiing and snorkeling.
Le Morne – The Epitome of Luxury Accommodation in Mauritius
Le Morne, on Mauritius’ southwest coast, invites hikers to savor its panoramic views. This coastal gem also boasts pristine beaches and a vibrant water sports scene, offering the best place to stay in Mauritius for adventure.
What to do in Le Morne
- Le Morne Brabant: The iconic Le Morne Brabant mountain is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most prominent natural landmarks in Mauritius. Hiking to the summit of Le Morne Brabant is a popular activity for adventurous travelers. The hike offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding coastline and lagoon. Additionally, the mountain has historical significance as a refuge for escaped slaves.
- Beach Activities: Le Morne is famous for its beautiful beaches with soft white sands and clear blue waters. It’s the best place to stay in Mauritius for a wide range of water sports, including kite surfing, windsurfing, snorkeling, and paddleboarding. The area’s consistent wind conditions make it a mecca for kite surfers.
- Heritage Golf Club: Golf enthusiasts can tee off at the Heritage Golf Club, which is located in the vicinity of Le Morne. The challenging layout and scenic views, make it a fantastic place for a round of golf.
Where to stay in Le Morne
St. Regis Mauritius Resort: This luxurious 5-star resort offers an exquisite blend of elegance and tropical charm. Set against the backdrop of Le Morne Brabant mountain, it features spacious and elegantly appointed rooms. World-class dining options, a beautiful beachfront, a spa, water sports, and breathtaking views top it off.
Salt of Palmar is a boutique hotel with an artistic design, eco-friendly initiatives, and personalized service. It offers a more intimate and boutique-style experience compared to larger resorts. A great choice for travelers seeking a distinctive and environmentally conscious stay in the Le Morne area.
While Villas Hibiscus is not directly in the Le Morne area, it is situated nearby and offers convenient access to the attractions and activities in Le Morne. That includes Le Morne Brabant hiking, water sports, and the stunning beaches of the region. A fantastic option for travelers who want to enjoy a more secluded and residential setting in Les Gaulettes. It’s the best place to stay in Mauritius when it comes to water sports and fishing.
Blue Bay – Convenient Accommodation Near Mauritius Airport
Blue Bay, situated on the southeastern coast of Mauritius, enchants visitors with its serene beauty. Its vibrant coral reefs, teeming with marine life, create a snorkeler’s paradise within Blue Bay Marine Park. The picturesque shoreline and tranquil atmosphere make Blue Bay the best place to stay in Mauritius for beach lovers and underwater enthusiasts.
What to do in Blue Bay
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Blue Bay Marine Park is a protected area renowned for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and diverse marine life. Snorkeling and scuba diving are popular activities here, allowing you to explore the colorful underwater world. You can rent snorkeling gear or join guided tours to make the most of your experience.
- Glass-Bottom Boat Tours: If you prefer to stay dry while observing the marine life, consider taking a glass-bottom boat tour. These tours offer an opportunity to view the underwater wonders of Blue Bay Marine Park through the glass bottom of the boat, providing a unique and comfortable perspective.
- Relax on Blue Bay Beach: The namesake Blue Bay Beach is a beautiful stretch of coastline with soft white sands and clear blue waters. It’s an ideal spot for sunbathing, swimming, or simply relaxing in a picturesque setting. You can also enjoy a picnic or beachside meal at one of the local eateries.
Where to stay in Blue Bay
Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa: Located near Blue Bay, this 5-star resort offers a picturesque beachfront setting. It features spacious rooms and suites, multiple dining options, water sports, a spa, and a golf course. The resort is known for its beautiful surroundings and family-friendly amenities.
Preskil Island Resort: This 4-star beachfront resort is situated on a private peninsula near Blue Bay. It offers comfortable accommodations, a variety of dining choices, water sports, and a spa. Guests can also enjoy the resort’s stunning views and serene atmosphere.
Chantauvent Guesthouse: If you’re looking for a more intimate and budget-friendly option, Chantauvent Guesthouse offers comfortable accommodations right on Blue Bay Beach. It’s an excellent choice for travelers seeking a relaxed beachfront experience.
Bonus Area: Bel Ombre for ultimate relaxation
Bel Ombre is a quieter and more secluded part of the island. Personally, I find it the best place to stay in Mauritius for those seeking relaxation, natural beauty, and luxury in a peaceful setting. This one might be my favorite location to take a breather. The wellness of Le Heritage turned out to be my favorite zen experience on the island.
Where to stay in Bel Ombre
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort: This 5-star resort boasts elegance and luxury. Set on the southern coast of Mauritius, it offers a beautiful beachfront location, spacious and well-appointed rooms, a wide range of dining options, a spa, a championship golf course, and a variety of water sports and activities. Its colonial-style architecture and service are impeccable.
Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort: Located adjacent to the Heritage Le Telfair, this 5-star all-inclusive resort offers an array of amenities and activities. This gem in Mauritius features comfortable rooms and suites, numerous restaurants and bars, a spa, a golf course, a kids’ club, and water sports. The resort has a welcoming atmosphere and is certainly the best place to stay in Mauritius for families and couples alike.
What to do in Bel Omre
- Golf: Mauritius is popular for its golf courses, including the Heritage Golf Club. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy playing on well-maintained courses with beautiful views of the surrounding landscape.
- Nature and Wildlife: Bel Ombre is close to natural attractions like the Black River Gorges National Park. There you can explore lush forests, and hiking trails to spot a variety of native flora and fauna.
- Cultural Heritage: The area also has a rich cultural heritage with historic sites like Château de Bel Ombre. It’s a beautiful colonial mansion that offers insights into the island’s history.
FAQ’s about Mauritius hotels
Both the eastern and western coasts have beautiful beaches and scenic landscapes. Many tourists find the southwestern region near Le Morne and the northeastern region around Belle Mare to be particularly stunning. I prefer to move around and explore all of the beautiful spots.
For a vibrant nightlife experience, the best place to stay in Mauritius is the north. Particularly Grand Bay, is a popular choice. It offers a variety of bars, nightclubs, and entertainment options that cater to those seeking an active nightlife scene.
Mauritius offers numerous luxurious places to stay. Some of the top luxury resorts include Shangri-La’s Le Touessrok Resort & Spa, The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, and Four Seasons in Anahita.
Yes, Mauritius has eco-friendly and sustainable lodging options. These include resorts and lodges that prioritize environmental conservation and sustainable practices. Examples include LUX* Belle Mare and Salt of Palmar.
The choice between staying in the north or south of Mauritius depends on your preferences. The north, around areas like Grand Bay and Trou aux Biches, offers more vibrant nightlife and a wide range of restaurants and shops. The south, near Le Morne, is quieter and known for luxury resorts and natural beauty.
Is Mauritius overall Worth Visiting?
I absolutely adore Mauritius, and in my opinion, it’s unquestionably worth visiting. To me, it stands out as one of the most versatile and enchanting destinations on the planet. Mauritius effortlessly outshines many other honeymoon locations with its sheer beauty, diverse landscapes, and warm hospitality.
From its pristine beaches and lush mountains to its vibrant culture and eco-friendly initiatives, Mauritius offers a honeymoon experience that’s second to none. It’s a place where romance, adventure, and relaxation come together seamlessly, making it the ultimate choice for couples looking to create lasting memories in a tropical paradise.
Which is better Mauritius or Maldives?
Mauritius offers a mix of cultural experiences, outdoor activities, and scenic beauty, while the Maldives is known for its overwater bungalows and exceptional diving opportunities. Both are beautiful destinations, and the decision comes down to what type of experience you seek. The choice between Mauritius and the Maldives depends on your preferences.
What are the best beaches in Mauritius?
Mauritius is blessed with a multitude of breathtaking beaches, each offering its unique charm.
- Belle Mare Beach: known for its powdery white sands and turquoise waters that are perfect for swimming and water sports.
- Trou aux Biches Beach: with its calm, shallow lagoon and vibrant marine life, is a snorkeler’s paradise.
- Flic en Flac Beach: on the west coast, offers stunning sunsets and a relaxed atmosphere.
- Île aux Cerfs boasts pristine shores accessible by boat. Perfect for a secluded escape.
- Le Morne Beach: tucked beneath the iconic Le Morne Brabant mountain, provides not only a stunning backdrop but also great conditions for kite and windsurfing.
Whether you seek relaxation, water activities, or scenic beauty, Mauritius’ diverse array of beaches caters to every traveler’s desires.
What is the best time to visit Mauritius?
The best time to visit Mauritius depends on your preferences and the experiences you seek. Whether you’re looking for sunny beach days, outdoor adventures, cultural immersion, or a quieter escape, there’s a season in Mauritius that suits your travel desires.
Summer in Mauritius: November to April
- Best for Beach Lovers: This is the peak tourist season, ideal for beach enthusiasts. The weather is warm and humid, making it perfect for swimming and water sports.
- Festive Atmosphere: Christmas and New Year celebrations are in full swing during this season, creating a festive atmosphere with special events and activities.
- Cultural Experiences: Explore the local culture through various festivals and cultural events, such as the Chinese Spring Festival and Thaipoosam Cavadee.
Autumn in Mauritius: May to September
- Cooler and Dryer Weather: Autumn offers cooler and drier weather, making it an excellent time for outdoor activities like hiking and exploring nature reserves.
- Whale Watching: June to September is the prime season in Mauritius for whale watching, particularly in the region of Tamarin Bay.
- Ideal for Golf: Golf enthusiasts can take advantage of the comfortable climate to enjoy the island’s world-class golf courses.
Shoulder Seasons in Mauritius: April to June and September to November
- Less Crowded: These periods offer a balance between good weather and fewer crowds. You can enjoy the beauty of Mauritius with a bit more tranquility.
- Affordable Travel: If you’re looking for the best place to stay in Mauritius during shoulder seasons, accommodation and flight prices may be more budget-friendly. You can score great deals – so it’s a great time to visit for those seeking value.
Winter in Mauritius: June to August
- Whale Watching: June to September is whale-watching season, offering the chance to witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
- Clear Skies: Winter months often bring clear skies and lower humidity, making it an excellent time for stargazing and enjoying the night sky.
What are the Top 10 tourist attractions in Mauritius?
- Pamplemousses Botanical Garden: Explore the lush gardens and discover unique plant species, including giant water lilies. Don’t miss the famous “Avenue of Royal Palms” and the historical sugar mill.
- Le Morne Brabant: Hike this UNESCO World Heritage Site for panoramic views and learn about its historical significance. The mountain was once a refuge for escaped slaves, adding a rich layer of history to its natural beauty.
- Île aux Cerfs: Enjoy water sports, relax on pristine beaches, and take boat trips to this idyllic island paradise. Try parasailing or snorkeling in the clear waters for an unforgettable experience in Mauritius.
- Black River Gorges National Park: Explore hiking trails, waterfalls, and diverse wildlife in one of Mauritius’ largest national parks. Be on the lookout for rare bird species and lush forest scenery.
- Chamarel Seven Colored Earths: Marvel at the captivating sand dunes with seven distinct colors, a natural wonder in the Chamarel region. Don’t forget to visit nearby Chamarel Falls and the Chamarel Viewpoint for stunning vistas of the southwestern coast.
- Blue Bay Marine Park: Snorkel or take glass-bottom boat tours to witness colorful coral reefs, fish, and marine life in this protected area, perfect for underwater enthusiasts.
- Île aux Aigrettes: Île aux Aigrettes is a prime eco-tourism destination for those interested in experiencing the conservation efforts firsthand.
I go more in depth on the activities in Visiting Mauritius: What to Do & Where to Stay
Where to stay in Mauritius: Final Conclusion
In the enchanting realm of Mauritius, where the turquoise waters embrace pristine shores, and the lush landscapes whisper tales of adventure and serenity, choosing the best place to stay in Mauritius is an invitation to create cherished memories that will last a lifetime. Staying at the Four Seasons Mauritius definitely highlighted my stay on the island. It is indisputably one of the best places to stay on this island paradise, a testament to the island’s unparalleled hospitality.
A tapestry of experiences
I hope this article helped you figure out where to stay in Mauritius. Whether you’re a first-time explorer seeking vibrant energy in Grand Bay, a family in search of a harmonious retreat in Flic en Flac, lovebirds embarking on a romantic journey in Trou aux Biches, or a connoisseur of luxury indulgence finding solace in Le Morne, Mauritius offers a tapestry of experiences to suit every traveler’s desires.
Remember that the beauty of this island nation extends far beyond its sun-kissed beaches and luxury resorts. It lies in the warm smiles of the Mauritian people. Their vibrant culture dances through its streets, and the natural wonders that beckon exploration at every turn.
Are you in for an Adventure?
If you like travel and need some tips? Make sure you give these Travel Guides a read: