Welcome to a healthier and more glamorous you! Do you know what’s hiding in your makeup bag? It might shock you to discover that many conventional beauty products are laden with harmful chemicals that can harm your health and the environment. Join me as I reveal my 5-minute everyday clean makeup routine, designed to enhance your natural beauty while avoiding the harsh ingredients found in many mainstream products.
Why Choose Clean Makeup?
The quest for a temporary glow from traditional cosmetics often comes at the cost of long-term consequences. But there’s good news – you can make the switch to clean makeup without sacrificing your beauty or well-being.
Say goodbye to chemicals and hello to a fresh, effortlessly radiant look. I’ve got you covered with a lineup of clean makeup heroes, and I’ll walk you through each step for a quick and beautiful transformation. Whether you’re new to clean beauty or a seasoned pro, this routine is perfect for everyone.
Why Choose Clean Makeup?
Traditional cosmetics may give us a temporary glow, but they often come with long-term consequences. Many of these products contain harmful chemicals that can negatively impact your health. Changing to more natural cosmetics not only boosts your health and happiness but also safeguards the planet.
Let’s dive into the importance of making the switch to clean makeup products and how it can benefit us all in the long run.
My 5-minute makeup routine!
I’ve got you covered with my 5-minute everyday full-face makeup routine! Say goodbye to harsh ingredients and hello to a fresh-faced glow that’ll leave people wondering how you did it so effortlessly. Get ready to simplify your life and elevate your look all at once with these simple steps.
Here’s my everyday hero lineup:
Here’s my 5 Minute Clean Makeup Routine everyday hero lineup:
For the face
Foundation: Between you and me, I never use primer. Something about filling in pores throws me off. I like to go straight in with either my Supergoop tinted CC cream (that contains SPF) or my Westman Atelier Foundation Stick. The latter I only use when I have a meeting or an important event. If I apply the makeup with my beauty blender, it remains buildable, gives me medium to full coverage, and truly lasts all day on the skin.
Blush: Honest Beauty LIT Powder Blush in Frisky or Milk Makeup Lip and Cheek in Werk are my absolute favorites. A little flush on your cheeks makes a world of difference, and a little goes a long way! The last product actually lives in my purse, in case I need a quick lip retouch.
Bronzer/Contour: My olive skin tone catches a tan pretty easily, but I try to block out the sun’s rays as much as I can with SPF. Meaning I remain consciously pale throughout the year, especially on my face. That’s why I love my Westman Atelier Contour Stick.
The contour stick that I also use as a bronzer glides on my temples, cheekbones, and hairline like a dream. A sunkissed glow in a matter of seconds! There are many contour products in the market, but none of them equals this product. I have lots of friends hooked to it, so I know it works wonders on dry skin as well as on oily skin.
Concealer: The RMS UnCover-up is my go-to superhero when I need to cover up a blemish or undergo redness (hello allergies!). This creamy goodness will stay put in place all day. I apply concealer with my fingers to warm it up.
For the eyes
Brow pencil + Brow gel: Nothing beats the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Styling Wax. Whether you’re looking for a DIY lamination effect or a quick brow lift, this gel will keep your brow hair on fleek all day long. I use the brush of the brow wiz to comb them up and fill in sparse bits. The best brow combo ever to exist!
Mascara: There are a couple of great mascaras on the market, but almost all of them smudge or slide down my cheeks! Having mascara residue creep into my fine lines is my worst makeup pet peeve. The good news is, that I have finally found one product that doesn’t slip and slide!
The Estée Lauder Double Wear mascara doesn’t contain any paraffin, parabens, phthalates, or sulfates, which makes it suitable for lens wearers or people with sensitive eyes. I swear by this mascara. I would marry it if I could.
For the lips
Lipliner + lipstick: In all honesty, I only apply lip makeup when I’m going to a fancy dinner or meeting. And I don’t like to experiment with bold colors, so I stick to nudes and beige tints.
My Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask in Vanilla is the fist and last thing I put on my lips. It’s the best of all lip balms. If I want to enhance my pout, I line my lips with the Colourpop Lippie Pencil in Ashton and blend it out.
What harsh chemicals to avoid?
When choosing natural and clean makeup, it’s essential to avoid products that contain harsh chemicals. Some of the most common chemicals to steer clear of include:
The top 5 ingredients to avoid
- Parabens: Parabens are synthetic preservatives used in cosmetics to extend shelf life. They can disrupt hormone function and have been associated with breast cancer and other health concerns.
- Phthalates: These chemicals are often used in fragrances and can act as endocrine disruptors, potentially leading to reproductive problems.
- Lead: Lead is a toxic heavy metal that can be found in some cosmetics, especially lip products. Prolonged exposure to lead can lead to developmental problems, learning disabilities, and other health issues.
- Talc: Talc is a naturally occurring mineral used in some makeup products, particularly powders. It has been linked to ovarian cancer and respiratory issues when inhaled.
- Triclosan: Triclosan is an antimicrobial agent that has been used in some cosmetics. It has been classified as a pesticide by the EPA and has been linked to hormone disruption and antibiotic resistance.
- Fragrance: Many conventional makeup products contain synthetic fragrances, which can include numerous undisclosed chemicals. These fragrances can cause skin sensitivities and allergies.
- Formaldehyde and Formaldehyde Releasers: Some cosmetics contain formaldehyde-releasing preservatives, which can release formaldehyde over time. Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen.
- Mineral Oils: Mineral oils and petroleum-derived ingredients are often used in cosmetics, particularly in lip products and moisturizers. They can clog pores and potentially cause skin issues.
- Synthetic Colorants: Artificial colorants may contain potentially harmful chemicals. It’s better to choose makeup products with natural colorants, like mineral pigments.
- Silicones: Silicones are used in many cosmetics for their smooth texture, but they can create a barrier on the skin that may trap impurities and lead to breakouts for some individuals.
How to investigate your makeup products?
You can check the cleanliness and safety of your makeup products by using the following websites and resources:
- Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database: The EWG’s Skin Deep Database provides information on the safety of various cosmetics and personal care products. You can search for specific products and ingredients to learn about their potential health risks. Website: EWG’s Skin Deep Database
- Think Dirty: Think Dirty is a mobile app and website that allows you to scan barcodes or search for products to obtain information on their ingredients and potential health impacts. It provides a rating system to help you assess the cleanliness of your cosmetics. Website: Think Dirty
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR): The CIR is an industry-funded organization that assesses the safety of cosmetic ingredients. While it’s not a comprehensive resource, it provides valuable information on specific ingredients and their safety profiles. Website: Cosmetic Ingredient Review
Frequently asked questions regarding clean makeup
Clean makeup products can vary in price, but they are available in a wide range of price points. Some high-end clean beauty brands may be pricier, but there are also affordable options. Price often depends on the brand and specific product. It’s possible to find effective, budget-friendly clean makeup choices.
Yes, clean makeup products are versatile and can help you achieve a wide range of makeup looks, from natural to bold. Many clean beauty brands offer a variety of shades and formulations for foundations, eyeshadows, lipsticks, and more, allowing you to create the looks you desire.
When transitioning to clean makeup, it’s essential to be patient and gradually replace your conventional products with clean alternatives. Consider your specific makeup needs, skin type, and any skin sensitivities. Additionally, you may want to research and test clean products to find those that work best for you.
Clean makeup is generally a safer choice for individuals with allergies or sensitive skin. It often avoids common allergens and irritants. However, it’s essential to read ingredient lists carefully and consider doing patch tests if you have known sensitivities.
Absolutely! The 5 Minute Clean Makeup Routine for Everyday is designed to be quick and efficient, ensuring that you can achieve a fresh, clean look in just a few minutes. By using clean makeup products that are easy to apply, you can simplify your morning routine without compromising on your appearance.
In Pursuit of Beauty and Wellness: The Clean Makeup Revolution
As we close the chapter on our exploration of clean makeup, we find ourselves on a journey toward a more radiant, healthier, and sustainable version of ourselves. Clean makeup is more than just a trend; it’s a transformative movement that empowers individuals to make informed choices for their well-being and the planet. I hope my 5 Minute Clean Makeup Routine for Everyday was helpful to you.
In our previous articles, we delved into the world of beauty and health, uncovering treasures like The Best Mineral Sunscreen for the Face and we embraced the goodness of clean living with “The Complete Vegan & Cruelty-Free Skincare Guide.” Each article illuminated a path to cleaner, more conscious living, bringing us closer to a holistic approach to well-being.
Your body, your home
Today, we celebrate the art of clean makeup, where beauty and health coexist harmoniously. Clean makeup not only enhances our physical allure but also empowers us with the knowledge that we are making choices that benefit our bodies and the environment. It is a testament to the idea that we can have it all: vibrant, glowing beauty and a commitment to our health and the world we call home.